Jon lectures undergraduates and teaches individuals pursuing undergraduate, Masters and Doctorate projects, and researchers from Post-doc. to Lecturer. Hands-on demonstrations, head-to-head tutorials via whiteboard and powerpoint presentations are all extensively used.
MRes supervision, laboratory project, dissertation guidance and presentation (5 students to date)
Mres presentation and dissertation marking & examination.
Undergraduate Lectures/Practical (typically 100-110 students in class, when at Imperial):
"Calvin Cycle & the Dark Reactions"; Protein Science UG2; convenor: Dr. Bernadette Byrne.
"Molecular Photobioenergetics"; Biological Chemistry; convenor: Dr. Frank Booy.
"Molecular Photobioenergetics"; Proteins & Enzymes; convenor: Dr. Peter Nixon.
Practical: "Chloroplasts"; 2 days.
Practical: "Molecular visualisation"; 1 day.
Practical: "Web-page design; protein science structures"' 1 day.
Undergraduate exam question composition/marking & UG final year project examiner.
The following list reflects those individuals Jon has guided for at least one month, and this teaching has, to his knowledge, directly resulted in 12 publications: (Initials are used for reasons of privacy).
17. KZ - Supervisor: 3 years Visiting Researcher Aug. 2009-Aug. 2012
16. MC - Supervisor: 6 month MSc project Oct. 2006-April 2007
15. BO - as joint Supervisor: 12 month MSc placement. Oct.-Sept. 2006
14. JS - as joint Supervisor: 4 month MRes project. Oct.- March 2006
13. WL - as joint Supervisor: 5 month MRes project. May-Sept. 2005
12. KM - Ph.D. research assistant of Prof. J. Barber, Feb. 2003 - date.
11. PH - Post-doc. research assistant, commencing Jan. 2003.
10. YI - Undergraduate from HUJI; co-supervised with Dr. Naomi Chayen, Imperial College; Sept.-Oct. 2002.
9. MB - Ph.D. student. University of Salamanca. Two month visit; Jul. 2002-Aug. 2002. One publication.
8. SE - Post-doc. associate of Prof. Martin Buck, Oct. 2001-Jun. 2002. One publication.
7. JK - Post-doc. associate of Prof. J. Barber, commencing Oct. 2001. One publication.
6. ES - Post-doc. associate of Dr. Ben Hankamer, commencing Oct. 2001. One publication.
5. JD - Ph.D. student under Prof. Barber, Aug. 2000 - Jan. 2002. 2 publications.
4. TB - Ph.D. student under Prof. Barber, commencing Jul. 2000. 4 publications.
3. JD - as Supervisor: Undergraduate project, 6 weeks, May-June 2000. Student and project achieved score in highest bracket.
2. TK - as Supervisor: 3 month M.Sc. project. October-December 1999.
1. JR - Undergraduate from Cambridge University, UK. 10 week project, Summer 1999. 2 publications.
Jon gives advice on computing, image-processing and microscopy to several members of the Dept. and to 3 groups in a variety of other departments across campus.