autumn 1996, Jon has facilitated the design, identification and
purchasing of six laboratory spaces (15 rooms). The first involved
the newly arrived IC-CSB group of Prof. MvH during the period October
1996-February 1997, during which time desks, PCs, wet lab equipment,
electron microscope liquid nitrogen facilities, were co-ordinated
and personally installed, in parallel with his research. He was
awarded a small financial bonus in recognition of these efforts,
which was unexpected, but gratefully received. The second was in January 1999, as workstation
/ LAN identifier and co-ordinator maintaining a PC cluster (20 machines),
its 100BaseT network and associated peripherals (DVD+/-R,RW/ CDR-W/
SCSI/ scanners/ printers/ NICs, etc.). He learnt Tru64
Unix system administration, configuring 6 Compaq EV6/67 class XP1000
workstations, incl. stereographics 3D modelling. See his Computers
page for more details.
More recently, he has replicated such activites
for his independent Faculty position, both at Imperial College London and Queen Mary University of London,
moving his laboratory, as required through managerial intervention, 5 further times (in 2002, 2004, 2007, 2013 and 2018).
His previous (2003) Beowulf-style cluster of gigabit (1000baseT)
switched PCs (60 CPUs; 125 GHz; 44 Gb DDR; 4 Tb) was deprecated in favour of an off-line, self-build,
scaleable, quad-socket G34 opteron solution, currently at 160 nodes, 256 Gb, NAS, etc.,
constantly added to (funding dependent). This was recently requested to be moved to a dedicated industrial scale server room and has been augmented by a series of workstations (GPUs, 12TB disks, copious RAM, etc.).
Jon has a organised a significant number of social,
research and commercial events during the past 3 decades (not an exhaustive list):
1. Departmental Student Representative (1992) - Life Sciences
Summer Ball (125 people).
Hall of Residence Subwarden (1993-1998) - Five Dinner Dances (75-80
people); Leader of 15-student party to Calais; 10+ wine tastings
of ~20 persons.
Post-graduate Representative (1993-1995) - Departmental Christmas
Party (80 people).
Post-doctoral Researcher (1997-2000) - Initiated and organised lab
retreat (20 people); other seminars.
5. Current position (2002) - Poster organiser; Royal Society Discussion Meeting (100+ people; 20 posters).
6. Divisional seminar series organiser (2005-2007) - 26 lectures/speakers
Divisional representative on the Faculty Safety Committee (2005-2007)
representative on the Faculty GM-safety committee (2005-2007)
9. Co-ordinator (2007) - PS07 international conference satellite meeting (350+ people; 46 posters).
Local organiser (2007) - Christmas Photosynthesis meeting, Queen Mary, University of London.
11. Local organiser (2008) - International Photosynthesis 'Symposium' at Queen Mary.
12. Seminar host (2010-2014) - A number of visiting international and national Photosynthesis speakers.
13. Royal Society funded event for local East End headteachers, based on Microscopy and recent research.
14. Local organiser (2008-) Biological TEM users forums, internal and external discussion events. 15. Public outreach at, and book prizes given for, a local Primary school (2015-2018).