During his career from 1996 onwards, Jon facilitated the design, identification and
purchasing for six laboratory spaces (15 rooms). The first involved
the newly arrived IC-CSB group of Prof. MvH at Imperial College London (the period October
1996-February 1997), during which time desks, PCs, wet lab equipment,
electron microscope liquid nitrogen facilities, were co-ordinated, ordered
and personally installed, in parallel with his research. He was
awarded a small financial bonus in recognition of these efforts,
which was unexpected, but gratefully received. The second was in January 1999, as workstation
/ LAN identifier and co-ordinator maintaining a PC cluster (20 machines),
its 100BaseT network and associated peripherals (DVD+/-R,RW/ CDR-W/
SCSI/ scanners/ printers/ NICs, etc.). He learnt Tru64
Unix system administration, configuring 6 Compaq EV6/67 class XP1000
workstations, incl. stereographics 3D modelling. See his Computers
page for more details.
For his independent career in Science, he replicated such activites
for two Faculty positions and at least 5 major laboratory moves, both at Imperial College London and Queen Mary University of London -
moving his laboratory, as required given managerial intervention (in 2002, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2018).
His previous (2003) Beowulf-style (offline) cluster of gigabit (1000baseT)
switched PCs (60 CPUs; 125 GHz; 44 Gb DDR; 4 Tb) was deprecated, first in favour of an off-line, self-build,
scaleable, quad-socket G34 opteron solution (160 nodes, 256 Gb, NAS)
which was constantly added to (funding dependent from 2013 to 2018, deprecated 2019).
Jon has a organised a significant number of social,
research and commercial events during the past 3 decades (not an exhaustive list):
1. Departmental Student Representative (1992) - Life Sciences
Summer Ball (125 people).
Hall of Residence Subwarden (1993-1998) - Five Dinner Dances (75-80
people); Leader of student parties overseas; wine tastings.
Post-graduate Representative (1993-1995) - Departmental Christmas
Party (80 people).
Post-doctoral Researcher (1997-2000) - Initiated and organised lab
retreat (20 people); other seminars.
5. Current position (2002) - Poster organiser; Royal Society Discussion Meeting (100+ people; 20 posters).
6. Divisional seminar series organiser (2005-2007) - 26 lectures/speakers
Divisional representative on the Faculty Safety Committee (2005-2007)
representative on the Faculty GM-safety committee (2005-2007)
9. Co-ordinator (2007) - PS07 international conference satellite meeting (350+ people; 46 posters).
Local organiser (2007) - Christmas Photosynthesis meeting, Queen Mary, University of London.
11. Local organiser (2008) - International Photosynthesis 'Symposium' at Queen Mary.
12. Seminar host (2010-2014) - A number of visiting international and national Photosynthesis speakers.
13. Royal Society funded event (2012) for local East End headteachers, based on Microscopy and recent research.
14. Local organiser (2008-2020) Biological TEM users forums, internal and external discussion events.
15. Public outreach (2015-2020): light microscope lab (7 microscopes; training) +book prizes given each year, at a local Primary school.